Worthy of Praise
Tilāwah: Sūrah Luqmān 8 – 22, Sūrah al-Ḥamd
Qirāʾah: Qālūn & Warsh ʿan Nāfiʿ; Assortment of Readings
No words of praise would do justice to the tilāwah of Sūrah al-Ḥamd by Shehzada Husain bhaisaheb Burhanuddin Saheb (DM) today. The recitation contained references to the narrations of Ḥafṣ ʿan ʿĀṣim, Qunbul ʿan Ibn Kathīr, al-Sūsī ʿan Abū ʿAmr and Khalaf ʿan Ḥamzah. The changes in the recitation effectively covered all ten readings even while direct references were made to the aforementioned four readings.
- The two mīms of rahīm and mālik were joined in a display of idghām kabīr and a reference to the reading of Abū ʿAmr (al-raḥīm-maliki).
- The alif in māliki was dropped in congruence with the reading of Abū ʿAmr.
- The recurring word ṣirāṭ with a ṣād was changed to sirāṭ with a sīn in a reference to the reading of Qunbul.
- Qunbul’s reading also caused the ṣilah of the mīm of plurality (ʿalayhimū).
- The same word ṣirāṭ was repeated with a hint of the letter zāy while pronouncing ṣād in a reference to the reading of Khalaf.
- The same reading caused the letter hāʾ in the word ʿalyhim to be read as ʾalayhum.
This tilāwah served as a reminder to the famous qirāʾah of Shaikh ʿAbdul Bāsiṭ where he had delivered a similar rendition of Sūrah al-Ḥamd. Click here to listen.
While reciting Sūrah Luqmān, Shehzada Saheb (DM) brilliantly delivered the maqām of ḥijāz twice in a row. Listen to some examples of this maqām below.
- From Sūrah al-Aḥzāb
- From Sūrah al-Ḥajj
Sūrah Luqmān was recited in the twin narrations of Qālūn and Warsh from the qirāʾah of Nāfiʿ. Find attached a page from the muṣ-ḥaf of Warsh and try to read it following the tajweed markings given in it. Then match your recitation with the audio provided below. Post your observations/questions in the comments section below after you have successfully finished the activity.
Audio of above page in the narration of Warsh.
Very nicely explained Taha bhai, completely agree.
[…] Link to original post. […]